Democracy for America adds 17 to its nationwide slate of endorsed 2019 City Council candidates
Today, Democracy for America (DFA) endorsed another 17 candidates running in 2019 city council races in communities large and small across the country.
Added to the eight candidates DFA endorsed earlier this month, the grassroots progressive group has endorsed more than two dozen candidates on the ballot for municipal-level offices ahead of Election Day in November 2019.
The 2019 City Council Candidates DFA is endorsing today include:
- Alison Brown, City Council District 5, Indianapolis (IN)
- Joseph Busig, City Council Position 3, Oak Harbor (WA)
- Isaac Crouch, City Council District 1, Morganton (NC)
- Danielle Duckett, Township Supervisor, Lower Gwynedd (PA)
- Jonathan Grieder, City Council Ward 2, Waterloo (IA)
- David Hayes, City Council At-Large B, Knoxville (TN)
- Shelley Kennedy, City Council District C, Houston (TX)
- Bryan Lindstrom, City Council Ward 6, Aurora (CO)
- Juan Marcano, City Council Ward 4, Aurora (CO)
- Will Mbah, City Council At Large, Somerville (MA)
- Tammy Morales, City Council District 2, Seattle (WA)
- Anthony Nelson, City Council District F, Houston (TX)
- Zach Niemiec, Alderman Ward 2, North Tonawanda (NY)
- Dean Preston, Supervisor District 5, San Francisco (CA)
- Lawana Slack Mayfield, City Council At-Large, Charlotte (NC)
- JB Smiley, City Council Super District 8-1, Memphis (TN)
- Caleb Theodros, City Council District 3, Charlotte (NC)
DFA has supported local candidates running for county, city, and municipal offices since its founding 15 years ago, and remains one of the only national, multi-issue progressive organizations to do so while also endorsing dozens of state and federal candidates each cycle.
In 2019, five DFA-endorsed candidates for county, city, or municipal offices have already won their general or determinative primary elections including Kate Gallego (Mayor of Phoenix, AZ), Helen Gym (Philadelphia (PA) City Council, At-Large), Bethany Hallam (Allegheny County (PA) Council, At-Large), Tobi Jackson (Fort Worth (TX) Independent School District Trustee District 2), and Melissa Cabello Havdra (San Antonio (TX) City Council District 6).
Statement from CEO Yvette Simpson on the slate of 2019 City Council candidates DFA is endorsing today:
“The 17 City Council candidates we’re endorsing today are not only excellent additions to one of the largest slate of municipal leaders Democracy for America has ever endorsed in a single election, they each share a deep commitment to the kind of bold, inclusive populist agenda we need to transform our country.
“The leaders we’re endorsing today understand that City Councils aren’t just where pot-holes are filled and budgets are balanced, they’re critical avenues for putting our values into action, empowering communities that are frequently ignored, and building the bench we need to enact progressive change over the long haul.
“As a former Cincinnati City Councilmember, I’ve seen the impact that bold, inclusive populist leaders like the seventeen we’re endorsing today can have on real people’s lives and all of us at DFA look forward to fighting alongside them through Election Day 2019 and beyond.” -- Yvette Simpson, CEO, Democracy for America